Are you taking the big plunge and switching from eyeglasses to contact lenses?
Have you always worn contact lenses, but are not completely satisfied with them? If you wear them already or are deciding to wear contact lenses, you need to choose the right lens for your lifestyle. We thought we would offer some suggestions to help you decide.
Types of contact lenses
There are several types of contact lenses that fall under two categories.
- Daily disposable contact lenses – use them once and then throw them away.
- Reusable contact lenses – take them out and clean them at the end of each day, then replace them as directed by your optician.
Why wear daily disposable contact lenses?
Daily disposable contact lenses are the most convenient way of correcting your vision and are very comfortable to wear.
- A fresh pair of lenses every day is the most hygienic and healthiest way to wear contact lenses.
- They don’t need to be cleaned or stored. Which is particularly good for someone with an active lifestyle.
- They are ideal if you like to travel because you don’t have to clean them, store them overnight or carry your lens case wherever you go.
- Daily disposable lenses are the best choice if you wear contact lenses occasionally – as a back up to your eyeglasses.
Why wear reusable contact lenses?
It may be that your vision needs can only be corrected with reusable contact lenses, or it could be that they are your personal preference.
- Reusable lenses are comfortable to wear and easy to look after.
- Reusable contact lenses are the most cost-effective choice of contact lens for everyday use.
Now that you are aware of the PROS of each type of contact, there are some other things you should consider when deciding on your contact lenses.
How frequently will you wear contact lenses?
Do you plan to wear your contacts every day or just on weekends and/or special occasions?
Most people wear soft contact lenses, which usually can be worn comfortably either full-time or part-time. However, your vision might require a different type of contact lens. A rigid gas permeable contact lens, for example, must be worn on a consistent daily basis for them to be comfortable.
How Picky Are You About The Sharpness Of Your Vision?
Rigid gas permeable contact lenses (also called RGP or GP lenses) may take some getting used to at first, but they often provide sharper vision than soft contact lenses, especially if you have astigmatism.
Are You Willing To Care For Your Contacts Properly?
To avoid serious contact lens-related problems, such as fungal eye infections or corneal ulcers, it is extremely important that you clean them daily and use the contact lens solutions that your eye doctor recommends. For those who know that routine care is an issue, disposable daily contact lenses make more sense.
These are a few of the many questions that should be raised and discussed at your next eye examination. CONNECT WITH Dedham Ophthalmic Consultants today to be seen and get the answers you deserve.
No matter what you choose, your eye doctor is best placed to GET STARTED on your journey to life with contact lenses. Your eye doctor will advise you on which contact lenses are most suitable for you. He or she will give you a contact lens fitting to make sure you have the right vision correction and lens type for your eyes and your lifestyle.